Powerman 5000: Builder of the Future

 



Powerman 5000 is one of those bands that really isn't that great.  Which don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan.  The problem is they really only have two listenable albums.  First is of course, "Tonight the Stars Revolt" which is their best. (if you'd like to see a review of that album let me know) Lastly their new album is their second best.  Here's the thing though.  I don't love this album, but I find myself throwing it on all the time.  Its a refreshing twist for them.  You get kind of the best of both worlds that is Powerman 5000.  You get this electronic robot sound, and you also get the crunchy guitars and the almost pop punky rhythms.  

The album is much softer (less metalish) than "Tonight the Stars Revolt".  This however isn't a big deal.  So lets begin.

The thing about this album is it starts with a bang.  With Invade, Destroy, Repeat, you get a heavy almost punkish vibe.  The guitars drive this song, in a good way.  Simple lyrics (as a note, most of the lyrics on this album are a bit 1D)  I think their goal for this song was to have a great energetic opener.  They succeeded.  The next few tracks are all pretty decent.  "we want it all" has a fuzz rock/ discoish tone.  Very floaty but catchy.  "how to be" if I'm correct is the single from this album.  Once again nothing overtly spectacular from this song, but its solid.  The beat is solid and stable.  Not a heavy song in any regard, but still has its merits beyond the redundant lyrics. Good single. The song "You're gonna love it/ if you like it or not"  This song is electronica meets disco.  Not a horrible song, If my phone is running ill let the song play.  Not one of my favorites though.

Builders of the future is a pretty good track.  Its mostly electronic, not very heavy but man is it catchy.  Repetitive as shit but its good sometimes to turn the lights out and pull out my exclusive glow stick collection.  "I want to kill" you isn't bad, but not my favorite.  Pretty minimalistic.  Frankly listening to "I want to kill you"  a dozen times in a row isn't very fun.  "Modern World"  is my favorite track off this album.  Starts with an 80's robotic sounding main beginning and when the chorus kicks in I feel like I need fireworks in my hands to shoot off while shouting Merica!  Power chords and robot sounds "We like living in the modern world!" 

"Live it up before you're dead"  is an upbeat robot rock pop song.  Nice beat, not boring.  Just not spectacular.  "I cant fucking hear you" is my least favorite.  Its a slow drawn out song.  The background continuous solo is cool, the rest is throw away.  Now I don't know if "Evil World"  had any influence from older brother Rob Zombie but it sounds like it did.  With that said its pretty decent.  

So want a conclusion?  Check out the album, its worth your time.  I'm usually skeptic on this type of shit, but its good.  The album is a solid romp with only a few dips in quality.  Other than that, the album brings a positive "live your life" message.  Which in one way means nothing to me, but in another, its absolutely refreshing.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volbeat Seal the Deal

Politics