Metro 2033 Redux

 



I sit here, a little buzzed listening to my friend constantly restart the beginning of this game.  He is going after an achievement he remembers from the Xbox 360 play through.  This disgusts me.  Not because its frustrating to watch the same five minutes over and over.  Not because I find it to be OCD and perhaps, obsessive?  No, none of those actually.  I'm most disgusted at the fact that he is holding himself back from exploring the metro in full detail.  This version is even better than the PC version. For starters.  It works....

The PC version of Metro 2033 while great looking and of course fun to play,  ran like shit.  Even on high end machines it ran poorly.  The new PS4 version rectifies any issue I've ever had with the Metro series.  For starters, the overhaul.  While it isn't true "Next Gen" it looks fucking great.  Obviously the best looking version of the game you can pick up.  Now, I'm writing the review on the PS4 edition.  I've heard the PC versions of the Redux look noticeably sharper than the PS4 and X-ONE.  I'm assuming that the extra smoothness is due to more anti-alising, probably higher texture filter, shit like that.  Honestly it looks great no matter what console we are speaking about.  

The upgrades aren't only visual.  The entire last light HUD has been added to make this smoother and less clunky.  The screen wipe feature is minuscule, I still appreciate it.  The controls with adjustable sensitivity feels just like a call of duty game.  This is especially good considering the skirmishes you get into can be quite hectic.  

Last but not least, the inclusion two different types of game play is genius.  You now have a choice, you can play spartan mode or survival mode.  Spartan is more like last light.  More action, more enemies, so on and so forth.  Survival is more old school Metro.  Slower, more cerebral. What is really cool is the fact that the environments have been tweaked to accommodate more enemies and larger battles with the spartan battles.  Much appreciated.

 The first time I ever played Metro 2033 I loved it.  Frankly, it needed some work, it was slowly paced, action was separated, and controls were horrendous,  The Redux version is the definitive version a fan of the series should play.  If you're new to the series than at $50 bucks, you have no reason not to get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Powerman 5000: Builder of the Future

Volbeat Seal the Deal

Politics